Did you know one in five Americans will develop skin cancer in the course of a lifetime? While that statistic is staggering, there are steps you can take to protect yourself and still enjoy all that Florida’s sunny climate has to offer you at Beso Del Sol Resort.
We want you to soak up the sun at the pool or the beach. Just keep these sun safety tips in mind.
- The sun is strongest between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. (daylight saving time). Be aware to shield your skin from harmful rays by covering up with clothing, staying in the shade or using sunblock.
- Everyone needs sunscreen, from six months of age and up. Check with your doctor before applying any to babies less than six months of age.
- Apply one ounce (two tablespoons) of SPF15 or higher sunscreen to your entire body 15 minutes before going outside, and reapply every two hours. If you’re swimming or sweating, apply immediately to ensure adequate coverage.
- Arms, legs and backs are the go-to for coverage. Don’t forget your lips, nose, ears, neck, hands, feet and head.
- If you aren’t sporting a full head of hair, cover that, too. Hats with a wide brim can shade your face, head, ears and neck.
- Don’t forget your eyes. Sunglasses for adults and children reduce the risk of cataracts and protect the tender skin around your eyes. Choose wrap-around styles that provide 99 percent to 100 percent UV protection. Don’t be fooled by dark glasses—darker does not mean better. Look for a sticker that tells you sunglasses has UV protection!
When you’re having fun, you might not notice the sun’s effect on your delicate skin. Make sun safety a priority when you’re on your Florida vacation.
Do you have other sun safety tips to share? Please post in the comments below!